When you join Willoughby Swim Club, you’ve registered with Swimming NSW to start competing. We have swimmers at all levels, from beginners through to representatives at national level.
You can swim competitively, or be a recreational swimmer with us at our Friday Club Race Nights organised regularly in school terms.
Times achieved at ‘official’ club race nights and external meets will be recorded with Swimming NSW in their online database. These can be used to enter competitive meets.
What you get
We work very closely with Paul Hardman, Head Coach of Willoughby Swim Club, and provider of squad training and coaching. Joining Willoughby Swim Club will help you develop as a swimmer and achieve your potential, as we support you with a range of services:
- Support and assistance around entries for race meets
- Relay entries at competitive events and being able to participate in a relay with other club members
- Close consultation with coaches
- Funding coaches at competitive meets we target
- Club race nights for recreation and fun, official timing once a month
- Running our annual Club Championship meet
- Assisting members to access services delivered by SMNE, such as development squad training
- Organising a weekend away meet in Canberra
- Organising, and supporting coaching at national age championships
- Running a week-long ‘away’ (interstate) training camp for swimmers who have reached a particular age and training standard
- Annual Presentation Day for socialising as well as recognising swimmer achievements
For parents to know
We are a community based swim club, run by parent volunteers. This means we need parents’ support to help things run smoothly on pool deck and in other areas needed to run a club. For this reason, we have some membership requirements:
Volunteering at swim meets and club / Friday night race nights
It’s crucial parents undertake volunteer duty when their child is participating in swim competitions and at Friday club night races. Our SMNE area requires member clubs (including Willoughby) to fill volunteer duty at SMNE meets.
When joining Willoughby Swim Club, our membership application requires parents to acknowledge they understand they will volunteer at these various activities.
Being a member yourself
Volunteering means you need to be covered by insurance. Swimming NSW’s insurance policy covers members volunteering on pool deck and for other club-related purposes.
So, for insurance purposes, we require a parent to become a member along with your U18 child. The category of ‘non swimming member’ at $37 for the year covers this.
Matters regarding children
WSC follows the Safe Sport Framework by Swimming Australia covering child protection. You can read it through a link on the ‘Policies and Procedures’ page. This is part of our commitment to the safety of children swimming with us.
Consent to photography
The Safe Sport Framework has conditions about photographing children. To be able to post photographs to our webpage, newsletter and social media channels, consent is required. Therefore, our membership application includes your parental consent to children being photographed or videoed.
Safe Sport framework
The Safe Sport Framework has provisions that apply to parents in volunteer roles. It has requirements about the conduct and behaviour of people who are in positions of authority regarding children, which includes volunteers.
When renewing membership, the Swimming NSW Terms of Membership will ask that you abide by the Safe Sport Framework.